Today is National Donut Day, so celebrate with – what else? – a nice, tasty donut.
I LOVE donuts! In fact, my whole family – and almost all of my co-workers – just love donuts. We’re still not back in our office yet, but I do have many happy memories of people bringing donuts into the office on a regular basis. I do miss those times, especially today, seeing as it’s National Donut Day!
Most Popular Donut Flavors
Those of us donut lovers usually have a favorite. Mine’s anything with chocolate. My kids like cinnamon and my husband is a big fan of anything filled with jelly.
What is your favorite kind of donut? Tell us by commenting below at the bottom of the page.
According to Ranker.com, the most popular flavors of donuts are:
- Chocolate Frosted
- Boston Cream
- Chocolate with Sprinkles
Some Really Unusual Donut Flavors
As can be expected, there are a lot of creative people who’ve created a lot of unusual donut flavors. Here’s a list of just a few of them, from firstwefeast.com:
- Bacon Maple Bar: A raised yeast doughnut topped with maple frosting and bacon strips. Sold at Voodoo Doughnut in Portland, OR
- Captain, my Captain: This raised yeast doughnut is first covered in vanilla frosting, then topped with Captain Crunch cereal. Sold at Voodoo Doughnut in Portland, OR
- Boss Hog: This doughnut is piled high with pulled pork and potato salad, and drizzled with honey BBQ sauce. Sold at Gourdoughs in Austin, TX
- Mojito With Candied Mint Leaf: This airy yeast doughnut is glazed with a mojito frosting and topped with a candied mint leaf. Sold at Dough in Brooklyn, NY
- Grilled Cheese: Cheddar cheese and glazed doughnut, sold at Tom + Chee in Freehold, NJ; Lexington, KY; Louisville, KY; Newport, KY; Lansing, MI
- Blue Sky: The cake doughnut is glazed with a pale blue frosting and sprinkled with bright blue rock candy. Sold at Rebel Donut in Albuquerque, NM
- Pineapple Basil: This yeast doughnut is filled with a basil cream before it’s slathered with a pineapple glaze and sprinkled with chopped pistachios. Sold at Rise in Durham, NC
- Lemon Sichuan: This fluffy yeast doughnut is filled with a surprisingly light Sichuan pepper-infused lemon curd. We’re very into this flavor combo. Sold at Dynamo Donut in San Francisco, CA
- Orangesicle: The cake doughnut is coated in powdered sugar before being dunked in orange glaze. Sold at Fractured Prune Doughnuts in Frederick, MD
- Cheesy Poof: This donut is flavored with cheddar cheese, corn, and jalapeño. Sold at Doughnuttery in New York, NY
- Poi: A bright purple doughnut that gets its hue and starchy flavor from a mix of taro root and water. Sold at Kamehameha Bakery in Honolulu, HI
- Dead Elvis: This cream-filled donut combines the King’s favorite sandwich items into one doughnut—bananas, bacon, peanut butter, and jelly. Sold at Psycho Donuts in Campbell, CA and San Jose, CA
Do you have a favorite “unusual” donut flavor? Tell us by commenting below at the bottom of the page.
Record All Your Donut Purchases
Every day is a good day to eat a donut. So, if you’ve purchased a donut today, or any day for that matter, please make sure to record the purchase. Use the Donut listing under Baked Goods in the Barcode Reference Booklet if you use a handheld scanner, or if you have the NCPMobile App, the Non-Barcoded Items listing in the app.
Note to NCPMobile users: Use the Non-Barcoded Items List in the app for recording these purchases. Do not scan the barcodes in the Barcode Reference Booklet.
Blog Contest Coming Soon – Yes, Really!
Be on the lookout for our next blog contest. It’s coming very, very, very soon!
Hope you have a great weekend, and have a donut or two!