Summer is almost here. Time is flying by and before we know it, we will be celebrating the July 4th holiday!
Summertime scanning refresher
Before summer officially begins, I thought it would be good idea to take a few minutes for a brief refresher about scanning items that we often associate with the summer months, and that can be easily overlooked when it comes to scanning. Let’s begin.
– A purse or a summer/beach tote bag can at times be a deep, dark abyss of a whole bunch of different items. It’s easy to forget to scan small items that get dropped in a purse or tote bag right after you buy them, such as chewing gum and other candy, cosmetics, sunscreen, lip balm, sunglasses, wipes, hand sanitizer, and so on.
– If you stop at a store on the way to a summer party, the beach, a BBQ, a park, a sporting event, etc. to pick up a few items, don’t forget to scan them! These items might include snacks, beverages (including beer and liquor), desserts and fruit, as well as insect repellent, sunscreen, beach/pool toys, etc. Scanning these types of “on-the-go” purchases is very important. It ensures that your shopping data is accurate and that we are getting a complete picture of your household’s shopping habits. If you can’t scan the items as soon as you buy them, save the packaging or write down the barcode number and enter the purchases when you get home (and save the receipt, of course).
– Do you purchase travel size items to take with you when going on a trip? Be sure to scan them before packing them away in your luggage.
– If you enjoy the summertime to catch up on your reading, be sure to scan any books and magazines you purchase.
Grilling and chilling
Summer is a great time to relax and break out the grill. As we enter prime grilling season, please make sure to scan all of your BBQ-related purchases including:
- Grilling utensils such as a spatula, tongs, grill brush, etc.
- All the food, of course, including prepared side dishes you buy at the store such as potato salad, coleslaw, etc.
- Charcoal and lighter fluid
- Paper and plastic products – plates, cups, forks, spoons, etc.
- Condiments – mustard, ketchup, BBQ sauce, hot sauce, mayo, etc.
- Marinades and spices
- Insect repellent (including sprays, lotions, candles, wipes, etc.)
- Sunscreen and after sun products
- And so on!
Summer is a busy time
Panel Members: We know that the summer season is a busy time for many between taking the kids to camp and other summer activities, going to the beach/pool, going on vacation, entertaining and/or attending events/parties, etc. Scanning consistently throughout the year, and especially in the busy summer months, is so important. NCP needs to get consistent, weekly shopping data from all panel members in order to provide accurate reports to clients, and to ensure that our panel members’ shopping opinions and consumer voices are heard.
We appreciate the extra effort to make sure every purchase counts, every week, and every season throughout the year.
If you have any of your own tips to share, please let me know in the comments section – thanks!
Have a fun and safe summer, everyone!