I love a good charcuterie board (especially ones with lots of cheese!) and fall is a great season to put them together. They’re an easy snack to take to football watch parties, backyard gatherings and other fall events, and everybody loves them!
“Charcuterie” is actually a French word for a type of prepared meat products like bacon, ham, sausage and other pork. It was originally a way to preserve meat before refrigerators were available, but everything old becomes new again, and charcuterie is popular today for its flavors.
Now, pretty much anything goes on a charcuterie board or plate! There’s truly something for everyone to enjoy, and many of us just enjoy putting them together.
How to make a charcuterie board
You can make your appetizer plate a Pinterest-worthy work of art, or it can be a super-simple, low-effort snack. It’s up to you! The website twosleevers.com has several tips for creating a great tray:
- Get the perfect sized board or tray- a wooden cutting board or a serving tray works great!
- Use easy-to-find ingredients- don’t feel pressured to search for fancy ingredients you’ve never heard of. Chances are, your guests haven’t either!
- Buy pre-sliced or pre-portioned ingredients- it can be a lot of work to prep everything, so make it easy on yourself!
- Use a picture or template for reference- you’ll find plenty of inspiration on Pinterest or YouTube, but don’t let it overwhelm you.
- Include brightly colored fruits and vegetables- adding color to your tray is a great way to draw attention to it
- Use lots of little bowls- this will add texture and height to your tray, plus it’s an easy way to include sauces or odd-shaped items.
- Place things in the right order and add height or dimension- start with bowls and then add crackers, meat, and cheese. Fill in the gaps with other random items.
- Combine flavors- include a variety of sweet, spicy, savory and salty!
But remember, these are just suggestions to help if you’re stuck. There’s no right or wrong way to create a charcuterie plate!
What’s on a charcuterie plate?
You’ll usually find a variety of meats and cheeses on a charcuterie board. But these days, anything goes and you should include whatever you want! Here’s a list of appetizers you can include:
- Dried or fresh fruit
One of my favorite charcuterie-style boards is filled with candy! Foodie Crush shares several ideas for how to make one, and with all the Halloween candy in stores already, this is a great option for a Halloween party.
Panel Members: Don’t forget to scan
I hope this inspired you to create a charcuterie board of your own! As you shop for your ingredients, don’t forget to scan your purchases to earn reward points.
Have you ever made a charcuterie plate? What ingredients do you like to include? Let me know in the comments, I’m always looking for new ideas for my snack plates!