It’s hot out there! Extremely hot weather is hitting much of the country this week, according to the National Weather Service (NWS). Temps are expected to soar across the Central and Eastern United States.
According to the NWS, the heat wave is covering the Central Plains from Eastern Colorado into Kansas, and extending up to the Great Lakes. By Saturday it will cover much of the East Coast from Virginia up through New York City, where temperatures are expected to reach or be close to 100 degrees.
More than 170 million people have been under heat alerts, stretching from New Mexico to New Hampshire, covering nearly 2,000 miles, according to NBC News.
So, now the key question becomes: How do you beat the heat??
Try these common-sense tips, from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Medicinenet.com:
- Stay in an air-conditioned indoor location as much as you can. If you don’t have air-conditioning, arrange to spend at least parts of the day in a shopping mall, public library, movie theater, or other public space that is cool.
- Fans can help circulate air and make you feel cooler even in an air-conditioned house.
- Drink plenty of fluids even if you don’t feel thirsty.
- Fill a spray bottle with water and keep it in the refrigerator for a quick refreshing spray to your face after being outdoors.
- Keep plastic bottles of water in the freezer; grab one when you’re ready to go outside. As the ice melts, you’ll have a supply of cold water with you.
- Schedule outdoor activities carefully.
- Wear loose, lightweight, light-colored clothing and sunscreen.
- Pace yourself.
- Take cool showers or baths to cool down.
- Look for “cooling stations” in your local area.
- Don’t use the stove or oven to cook—it will make you and your house hotter.
Other things to consider during extreme weather conditions:
- Check on a friend or neighbor and have someone do the same for you.
- Never leave children or pets in cars.
- Check the local news for health and safety updates.
What do you do to stay cool? Let us know by posting a comment!
Remember: If you go to a shopping mall or restaurant and purchase something, use the NCPMobile App or your scanner to let us know about it.
Have a nice weekend, and stay cool!