Let’s talk a bit about bacon! Bacon is one of the most popular meats in the U.S., eaten for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and even dessert! So many things taste good when paired with bacon, including chocolate! There are many ways to use it besides just eating it for breakfast…how about bacon cheeseburgers, BLT sandwiches, bacon-wrapped shrimp, and so on!
International Bacon Day is celebrated on the Saturday before Labor Day in the United States (September 3, 2022). It’s a day for honoring this very popular cured meat. And, December 30th is National Bacon Day. Seems like people just want to celebrate bacon, lol!
If you eat bacon, what kind do you buy most often? (Pre-cooked, flavored, thick cut, uncured, turkey, Canadian, etc.) Let me know in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Sizzling Fun Facts About Bacon
According to lundsandbyerlys.com:
- 70% of all bacon in the U.S. is eaten at breakfast time.
- More than 2 billion pounds of bacon is produced each year in the US.
- The phrase “bringing home the bacon” originated back in the 12th century when a church in England offered a side of bacon to any man who could swear before the church that he had not fought or quarreled with his wife for a year and a day. Any man who could “bring home the bacon” was highly respected in his community.
Sizzling NCP Data About Bacon
Check out some of the bacon purchase data reported by NCP panel members in the past 12 months:
- When panel members purchased bacon, eggs were also purchased on that same shopping trip 28% of the time.
- There were over 250,000 scans of refrigerated bacon by panel members which accounted for over 1,300 unique products!
What were the top 10 Bacon Flavors reported by members (based on dollars spent)?
3 Natural Hardwood Smoke
8 Maple Natural Hardwood Smoke
In which season did panel members buy bacon the most (based on dollars spent)?
The Labor Day holiday weekend is here! Where did the summer go? Please remember to scan all of your holiday-related purchases, as well as your regular purchases (including bacon, if any!).
Have a safe and enjoyable holiday weekend however you choose to spend it!