National Puzzle Day is Saturday, January 29th. Do you like puzzles? I enjoy doing all types, but my favorite is the jigsaw puzzle. Overall, I find it to be relaxing and rewarding. Of course, there can be moments of frustration if it’s difficult or if there are too many pieces. And, if a piece is missing, ugh, I don’t even want to think about that! I recently completed a U.S. National Parks jigsaw puzzle with my kids, they were so much better at finding where the pieces fit than I was! We had a lot of fun.
So, what’s this national day all about? According to nationaldaycalendar.com, this day recognizes puzzles of all types and the benefits that can be gained from working on them.
If you enjoy puzzles, let me know in the comment section below which type is your favorite!
There’s A Variety Of Puzzles Out There
Whether it’s crosswords, word searches, word scrambles, brain teasers, Sudoku, etc., all types work our minds! You can find them in books, magazines, newspapers, and even online. What a great feeling it is when a puzzle is finally completed and/or solved!
Benefits Of Puzzles
Taking time to work on a puzzle provides many benefits for people of all ages, here are some:
– Improves and tests memory
– Improves cognitive skills
– Enhances language and vocabulary skills
– Enhances problem-solving skills
– Improves focus
Did You Know?
According to britannica.com:
– Jigsaw puzzles originated as educational devices to teach geography (dissected maps) in 18th-century England. Dissected pictures followed, covering such subjects as history, alphabets, botany, and zoology.
– The first crosswords appeared in England during the 19th century. They were of an elementary kind apparently derived from the word square, a group of words arranged so the letters read alike vertically and horizontally, and printed in children’s puzzle books and various periodicals.
Panel Members: If you buy puzzles (jigsaws, books, etc.), don’t forget to scan them. All types of purchases are important!
This weekend, why not grab a cup of coffee, tea, or whatever your favorite beverage might be, relax, and do a puzzle!