Can you believe it? On Thursday, America will be celebrating its 243rd birthday. (Time sure does fly!)
My family and I will be celebrating by having some friends over for a BBQ. How will you be celebrating the day/weekend? Will you be seeing a fireworks show, or going to a picnic/BBQ, or going to a beach/pool, or just relaxing at home? Let us know what you’ll be doing!
Here are some interesting facts about the Fourth of July holiday, from Wallethub.com:
- 61% of Americans own an American flag
- 26% of Americans will purchase patriotic merchandise for the Fourth of July
- 61% of Americans will attend a July 4th picnic
- $6.8 billion is estimated to be spent on July 4th food
- 150 million hot dogs are consumed each Fourth of July
- 700 million pounds of chicken are purchased in the week prior to the Fourth of July
- July 4th is America’s top beer-drinking holiday ($1+ billion estimated spending on beer for Fourth of July celebrations in 2018)
- 16,000+ fireworks displays are held each July 4th
- 40% of Americans will attend a July 4th fireworks display
- 47+ million Americans will travel 50+ miles from home this Fourth of July weekend (compared with 44 million in 2017, and 43 million in 2016).
- 3.8+ million will travel by plane
- 85%+ of travelers will drive to their destination
Speaking of traveling this holiday weekend …
Note to scanner households: If you’re traveling and unable to record your purchases, please let us know by contacting the Panel Support Center by phone at 1-800-962-6700 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you’re an NCPMobile App user, you can continue to scan while you’re away.
And please make sure you record all of your BBQ-related purchases! These include such items as charcoal, lighter fluid, condiments, paper products, grilling utensils, and even insect repellent and sunscreen!
Enjoy the holiday!