Sunday, November 11, is traditional Veterans Day, although it will be officially observed on Monday, November 12. As I’m sure you know, this holiday is dedicated to those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces.
So we all need to make sure to honor the veterans for their great service to this great country!
Important! If you are a veteran, or if you know a vet, please make sure to take advantage of the many free or discounted meals and services for this holiday. See the links at the end of this blog posting.
Here are some interesting facts from history.com:
- 16.1 million living veterans served during at least one war.
- 5.2 million veterans served in peacetime.
- 2 million veterans are women.
- Of the 16 million Americans who served during World War II, about 558,000 are still alive.
- 2 million veterans served during the Korean War.
- 7 million veterans served during the Vietnam War.
- 5.5 million veterans served during the Persian Gulf War.
- As of 2014, 2.9 million veterans received compensation for service-connected disabilities.
- As of 2014, three states have more than 1 million veterans among their population: California (1.8 million), Florida (1.6 million) and Texas (1.7 million).
- The VA health care system had 54 hospitals in 1930, since then it has expanded to include 171 medical centers; more than 350 outpatient, community, and outreach clinics; 126 nursing home care units; and 35 live-in care facilities for injured or disabled vets.
Veterans and active duty service members – Please visit these websites and see all the offers that are available to you:
Discounts and Veterans Day deals:
National Restaurant Veterans Day deals:
Local area promotions, categorized by state:
Additional website listings of Veterans Day offers:
Thank you, and have a great weekend!