November is a busy month filled with special holidays and the beginning of the holiday shopping season. And, to top it off, it’s National Peanut Butter Lovers Month, too! Who knew? Let’s spread the word!
Peanut butter is a protein-packed, versatile food and a staple in most homes (it definitely is in mine!). It pairs well with many different foods, but there’s nothing like a classic PB&J sandwich, right? Besides creamy and crunchy, there are many other varieties of peanut butter in stores today. Have you tried any of the flavored ones such as chocolate, honey, maple, and so on?
Fun Facts About Peanut Butter
I came across some fun facts from the National Peanut Butter Board that I thought were interesting, here are just a few:
- It takes about 540 peanuts to make a 12-ounce jar of peanut butter.
- By law, any product labeled “peanut butter” in the United States must be at least 90 percent peanuts.
- The average peanut farm is 200 acres.
- The average person will eat almost 3,000 PB&Js in their lifetime, according to a 2016 survey by Peter Pan Simply Ground Peanut Butter.
- Astronaut Alan Shepard brought a peanut with him to the moon.
- People living on the East Coast prefer creamy peanut butter, while those on the West Coast prefer the crunchy style.
Nutty Data From NCP
Last December we shared some fun data stats in an edition of NCP’s In The Know titled “Nutty About Peanut Butter”. In The Know, or ITK as we call it, is a fun way for us here at NCP to share some of the data we’ve collected with our panel members.
Click here to check out ITK and let me know what you think!
If you’re not a NCP panel member and you’re interested in joining us to share your shopping experiences, earn great rewards, and influence what you see on store shelves, click here or go to the Join NCP section of the blog!
Panel Members: Please remember to report all of barcoded peanut and other nut butter purchases (such as almond and cashew butters). If a store allows you to grind your own peanut butter, report that type of non-barcoded item purchase using the Non-Barcoded Items list in the NCPMobile app or refer to the Barcode Reference Booklet if you use NCP’s handheld scanner.
Even Elvis “The King” Presley loved peanut butter!
The Elvis Sandwich!