It’s time for my family to get down to business with our summer vacation plans. We’ve been discussing things for a few months, so we have some solid ideas about what we’re going to be doing.
Unfortunately, according to a Bankrate.com survey, 49% of respondents said they don’t plan to take a vacation this summer. And 24% of all those respondents said cost is the biggest factor for not planning a getaway. Other reasons for not taking a vacation include having too many family obligations (12%) and being too busy at work (11%), according to Bankrate.com.
So unfortunately, many workers end up not taking all their vacation time. According to Bankrate.com,
- 36% plan to use all their vacation time
- 19% plan to use almost all
- 18% plan to use almost half
- 13% plan to use about a quarter
- And 13% say they won’t use any paid time off.
So let me just say – please try to take your vacations! It’s good for you!
Can’t afford to get away? Consider a staycation! Relax at home, go for a hike, catch up on your reading, go swimming, go to a movie, and so on!
But if you do want to get away, there are some lower-cost options. According to some great advice from travelandleisure.com,
- Look for budget airlines. And be open to traveling on less-popular days, like Tuesday or Wednesday, for lower airfare.
- Consider unconventional accommodations, such as homeshares and hostels. Some colleges even rent out dorm rooms.
- Plan to cook some of your meals to save money.
- And, this is important, don’t worry about any last-minute travel plans. With the many travel apps out there, you can actually book hotel rooms, flights, and cruises for less than what you would have paid if you had booked months in advance.
There’s so many things to do, even if you don’t have much money to spend.
According to U.S. News & World Reports’ Best Vacation Rankings, these are the best cheap summer vacation spots.
- Grand Canyon
- Williamsburg, Virginia
- Fort Myers, Florida
- Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Fort Lauderdale, Florida
- Tucson, Arizona
- Boca Raton, Florida
- Daytona, Florida
- Biloxi, Mississippi
- Tampa, Florida
- Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
- Moab, Utah
- Annapolis, Maryland
- Bar Harbor, Maine
- Surfside Beach, South Carolina
And not to be outdone, forbes.com has its own list of cheap places to visit this summer:
- Mount Desert Island, Maine
- Monterey, California
- Traverse City, Michigan
- Saint Michaels, Maryland
- Greenport, New York
- Virginia Beach
- Whitefish, Montana
- Lexington, Kentucky
- Astoria, Oregon
- Boise, Idaho
- Panama City, Florida
- Nyack, New York
- Nashville, Tennessee
- Bloomington, Indiana
- Greenville South Carolina
- Kauai, Hawaii
- Snowmass, Colorado
- Orlando, Florida
- San Juan Island, Washington
- Louis, Missouri
- The Great Smoky Mountains
- Boston, Massachusetts
- Phoenix, Arizona
These are some great locales. I hope they’re giving you some ideas for your next trip.
Let me know what you’re doing this summer, whether it’s getting away some place, or just staying at home.
Also, remember, if you’re not able to record your purchases, please let the Panel Support Center know at least a week before you leave on your vacation. If you use the NCPMobile App, you can still use it no matter where you are!
Thanks, and have a great weekend!