Father’s Day is almost here, and I know sometimes people wonder what to get or do for the dads in their lives.
And there are a lot of dads. In case you ever wondered how many fathers are out there, well the U.S. Census Bureau knows! According to the bureau, there are an estimated 72.2 million fathers across the nation in 2014, the most recent year for which data are available.
My kids and I have been trying to figure out what to do for my husband. He said he doesn’t want anything this year, so I’m working with the kids to come up with some ideas on what activities we can do.
Any suggestions? What will you be doing for Father’s Day? Let me know!
Here are some activities that dad might appreciate, according to the Readers Digest:
- Beer tasting (my husband would definitely like this one!)
- Visiting an amusement park
- Having a spa day
- Going to a car show
- Attending a sporting event
- Attending a musical performance
- Attending a museum or art show
- Volunteering with the kids
For those looking to purchase something for dad, Father’s Day sending is expected to reach an average of $134.75, up from last year’s $125.92, according to the National Retail Federation. Total spending is expected to reach $15.5 billion!
Here are some of the most popular items that people will pick up for dad, according to the National Retail Federation:
- Greeting cards: 64.3%
- Clothing: 46.1%
- Gift certificates/gift cards: 42.6%
- Books or CDs: 23.9%
- Consumer electronics/Computer related: 21.2%
- Personal Care: 20.9%
- Sporting goods or leisure items: 16.7%
- Tools or appliances: 16.3%
- Home improvement or gardening supplies: 16.2%
- Automotive accessories: 16.1%
While 48% will take dad to a special outing, such as dinner or bunch.
Whatever you do for Father’s Day, I hope you have a great day!